Thursday, July 09, 2015

I am not at all convinced that the universe is conscious.  I understand why the Stoics assume that it is; for them it seems like a necessity for their system to work.  If you start with the idea that there are only two things—matter and consciousness—and that only consciousness can move then you need the universe to have consciousness or it would follow that humans and gods (and any other creatures that are conscious) would be in control of the universe.  Put in that position, I would choose a rational and conscious universe as well.  (Correct me if I am wrong on my understanding of Stoic foundations.) 

Given that I am not in a position to have to assume the consciousness of the universe, I don’t.  The issue of rational intelligibility of the universe (RIU) is also something that I have an issue with.  However, I have much less of an issues with that than with consciousness.  My main issues with RIU is that it can easily lead to scientism.  (We should talk about this and what exactly it means to us at some point.  Upon request I will put up some Sloan quotes that I like to get us started.) Assuming that the universe is intelligible opens the door to the assumption that we can fully understand it.  That is not the only path to take from there of course.  Sloan assumes RIU (and has a good argument for it) and then makes sure to limit this so as to rule out our ever fully understanding it, especially via science and only science.  That is something that I can accept and deal with as a position that others hold; it is not something that I feel comfortable with personally.  I think it leaves far too much room for falling into scientism.  If you don’t follow his argument for limiting our ability to understand, or if you fail to think about limits at all, you easily fall into the assumption that we can fully understand the universe.  This is, I think, a huge danger. 

To avoid that danger, I think assuming that the universe is not intelligible is the better (more humble and less dangerous) path to take.  A position like the one that Camus takes allows us to use science to understand as a way to predict and manipulate the material world, and this leads to technology and many good things.  It also limits science to dealing with the physical world and sets the limits to what it can and does achieve: prediction and manipulation.  (I am skipping the very basic argument that I have in my head for this, but rest assured that I know that this looks like a pretty big leap here.)  This leaves room for other disciplines to deal with issues like meaning, purpose and significance in their own way without the pressure of having to be scientific in their method and material.  For me that is of paramount importance. 

What I like about phrasing the problem the way that I did in my original post is that it makes even the RIU position an assumption that must acknowledge that it is such.  I hope that making people aware of that can be a deterrent for scientism.  RIU is based on a leap of faith and therefore science itself is as well.  That seems key to me when it comes to limiting human hubris and avoiding scientism.

I like the turn that you take towards Nietzsche.  And of course, some interpretations are better than others. In my opinion that is the history of humanity, and philosophy.  In that respect I think that values and goals are the most important part of any human endeavor.  Those things help define what you mean by ‘better.’  In the middle ages there was not much that humans could do to control their physical situation, especially against disease—at least in comparison to what we can do today.  The spiritual aspect of the human was more highly valued then.  You may be poor and in pain and you may die, so focusing on the spiritual made life more bearable.  You had the after-life, you had the solace of prayer.  These may sound like fairy tales and hollow comforts to modern day people, but they were real then.  (I see the Middle Ages as being the Dark Ages only because our values are so different from the ones we have today.)

If you values democracy and the rule of law, these things then influence what kind of interpretations are better: which best foster those ideas to spread and be believed in, and which are more geared toward making them work.  You may accept a bit of chaos and waste in the world in order to allow the people to have their say and to enforce laws.  If you value comfort and long life then you will see science and technology as being a better way of looking at the world than most traditional religions.  Values, at lease the way that I see it, are foundations of primary interpretations—of assumptions. 

However, I don’t see any of this as being linear where you can say that the values come first.  In fact, I have given up the idea that history, life or any sort of meaningful argument or interpretation of the world is linear.  (At least not ones that don’t tend to over simplify the subjects, which has its time and place for sure, but is not ‘reality.’)  Progress is defined according to values that the people telling history hold—not just by the winners.  I see things as being complex interconnected systems, like an ecosystem.  Part of this comes from meditations on (and even an early misunderstanding of) Heidegger’s use of the term ‘hermeneutic circle’ and Derrida’s idea of ‘play.’  Even influenced by Heidegger’s history of Being. As the idea of what Being is changes, the rest of the network of interpretations changes, in fact must change, as well.  I wanted to see the hermeneutic circle not as the circular reasoning that is at the foundation of human thought (the virtuous circle as he puts it, that starts with an assumption and leads to a system of interpretations and then sooner or later goes back to the assumption and re-interprets it) but also as the network of meanings that all undergo re-interpretation as items in the network change meaning.  That is where Derrida’s idea of play comes in.  Everything in interrelated and since nothing is stable—no indisputable foundation or center—everything is in constant play.  (I also agree with what Heidegger meant when using the phrase hermeneutic circle and agree that it is a virtuous circle, not a vicious one, especially if we are aware of it.)

In that way I see everything as a sort of evolution, but not in the way that most people think of evolution.  It is not progress and it is not linear. It is an ecosystem in which different elements (words, ideas, symbols etc. in philosophy, and different creatures, materials and environmental factors in nature) are constantly changing and adapting to each other.  It is adaptation that causes others to have to adapt as a result.  It is not directed and it is not linear.  It can be interpreted as a story of progress but only after you assume values according to which you will interpret it.  This too is how I would like to read Nietzsche’s eternal recurrence: the never ending cycle of adaptation. 

It is because science, and as a result RIU, thinks mostly about linear, material, cause and effect relationships that I am suspicious of science being seen as the main way to look at the world, especially when it comes to meaning and even philosophy.  A linear approach will all too easily allow for a leveling out of experience and networks of meaning, making them seems simple, easy and self-evident.  That is another reason why I think assuming that the universe is not rational and that we simply impose our rational thought systems on to it is a better approach.  It leaves the multi-dimensional, non-linear world behind the veil (or under the grid) to be rediscovered and always respected.  We can use the veil or the grid and get ‘progress’ out of it, but we must always be aware on some level that the messy reality is under it.
 

Ah, and I think I should stop for now….   

1 Comments:

Blogger AJV said...

I took the Philosophy of Science as an undergraduate: one of the better courses in the department. One of the principal debates, if I recall correctly, is scientific realism vs. instrumentalism. Here is a definition of the latter:

“Instrumentalism, in the philosophy of science, the view that the value of scientific concepts and theories is determined not by whether they are literally true or correspond to reality in some sense but by the extent to which they help to make accurate empirical predictions or to resolve conceptual problems. Instrumentalism is thus the view that scientific theories should be thought of primarily as tools for solving practical problems rather than as meaningful descriptions of the natural world. Indeed, instrumentalists typically call into question whether it even makes sense to think of theoretical terms as corresponding to external reality. In that sense, instrumentalism is directly opposed to scientific realism, which is the view that the point of scientific theories is not merely to generate reliable predictions but to describe the world accurately” (Encyclopedia Britannica Online).

It seems to me that your ideas resonate with this philosophy of science. Then the grounds are laid bare for manifold, competing narratives/ideologies. And I agree that values are central. At the beginning, the values demand and give coherence to the narrative itself; then the narrative serves to instill those values in its initiates. (I guess Heidegger would take one more step, having the narrative reevaluate the original values.) This “reading” of the world reminds me of Postman’s The End of Education, which we read not too long ago.

*Perhaps it might be helpful to post on scientism (esp. if you are inviting others to the discussion).

*I am curious to know what makes Heidegger’s circle “virtuous.”

Sorry for this brief post. I still am leaning towards RIU... albeit a modest version akin to Sloan's. I understand your concern; one need only look at the way state gov'ts are slashing the budgets of Humanities depts because they value only "practical" disciplines that allows their grads to gain employment. Also, an overemphasis on science can lead to shallow ambitions and a soul-less view of our relationships with each other and the world.

But I think science approaches truths even if those truths are moving targets. The way that medicine has advanced, to me, reveals very deep understandings of the human body.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home