Friday, June 21, 2013

The New Narratives (Ch 4, I think)



Of the five narratives that Postman puts forward, by far my favorite is the final one: Word Weavers/ World Makers.  My least favorite is the narrative of Diversity, and my reason for that will come clear as I write about how I think he goes wrong with the Word/World narrative.

Postman is, it seems, under the influence of the Anglo-American Analytic strain of philosophy.  I can see this in the way that he deals with Heidegger and Wittgenstein.   The analytic strain of philosophy dismisses some of the great names of Continental philosophy because of their connection to Nazism, or to Heidegger who was a Nazi. (This witch hunt is often lead by Richard Wolin.)   This is polemics and philosophical politics and I am disappointed to see Postman fall into that.

What Heidegger can offer to the narrative that Postman proposes is, I think, invaluable.  It is something that Dewey, Pragmatism in general and even Secular Humanism are missing.  Heidegger offers a myth that has rich and mystifying language.  Heidegger talks of Being and being-there, of the house of Being and the event, of the shepherd of Being, etc.  His later works (works written after the fall of Nazism) are poetic and often deal with poetry as much as with philosophical texts. 

What his later philosophy boils down to is that the world is organized around Being and that Being is really only a word.  (Well, that is a simple way to sum it up.)  However, with that word comes a tradition one we cannot fully understand or shake off and one that we are not in control of.  Language is not of our creation in the sense that we can control or change it, or that we can even track down where it came from, or how it came to be the way that it is.  We can redefine words, even the word that is at the center of the network of meaning, but those words still carry with them a past.  That past, that tradition, is something that we need to be aware of and we need to constantly reckon with when we ‘weave’ words and ‘make’ worlds. 

When Postman talks about diversity he brings in entropy, which I think is a very good move.  However, I think he misses the biggest point that can (and should) be taken from that move: too many variables changing at once can make it difficult, if not impossible, to stave off entropy.  To connect this to words and to Heidegger, it could be said that changing a words meaning too radically at once (or changing too many words at once) damages the tie to tradition, the heritage that made the word what it is.  When you lose that connection the word can be lost completely, or in the case of many words (or a central word like Being) the whole system can shift out of order.  Heidegger talks of slow shifts, or twisting and turning, or tarrying.  These are the ways that words, worlds and cultures need to change if they are to fight off entropy—a loss of meaning in language, a disordered world or a culture that has no unity or order. 

I could say more (AJ, you know I could write all day on this) about Heidegger and tradition, but I will stop there.  I think I made my points.  Without a respect for the tradition (which we can pick up from Heidegger’s poetic and almost mythic writings on Being from his later period) we risk losing our foundations, which really are nothing but our past.


4 Comments:

Blogger AJV said...

It is unfortunate how dismissive Postman can be. I would hope he had better reasons for disliking Heidegger's philosophy. Ad hominem attacks are specious, unscholarly, and precisely what this book opposes...

I'm not familiar with Heidegger although I do remember enjoying the sections of Being and Time I read as an undergraduate. One problem with narratives is that they must be very accessible and understandable for children to accept them. If a myth is too complex, there won't be buy-in. So, on the one hand, myths must be simple, yet they must allow for complexity. Perhaps Heidegger's mystifying language precludes widespread support. Look at Postman's myths. They start with a very simple premise (stewards of the Earth, mistake-prone human nature, the uncertainty principle. entropy) and develop along very simple lines of thinking.

12:46 PM  
Blogger AJV said...

Maybe you should turn Heidegger's philosophy into a kid-friendly mythological system!

12:48 PM  
Blogger AJV said...

I just recalled watching the movie, The Neverending Story, while reading Heidegger and thinking--This is Heideggerian! Zo, Can you confirm or disconfirm? (Of course, whenever I read a powerful theory, I always thought every text was an iteration of that theory... Oh well.)

12:52 PM  
Blogger Zophorian said...

I haven't seen that movie in a long time. I will have to and get back to you on that. Could be.

You are right that Heidegger himself is too much for kids. However, I was thinking of it for the teachers and the adults. Not that everyone can read him, or should. What I meant was that that kind of mystical story (of the event of Being, etc.) can be a for the leaders and they can then weave stories for the kids.

I find it so disheartening when teachers and parents don't buy into the narrative they are trying to 'sell' to the kids. The whole system becomes very cynical then. And sooner or later the kids catch on, even if they don't know it.

So, to have a myth even for the teachers that they can buy into. It would have to be something deep and a bit mystical, but also ambiguous enough to be taken up and individualized by each teacher and for each level.

I would love to write a myth or narrative out of this. I have tried, but it never really comes out right. I need to write more and have more practice at it.

5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home