Friday, August 10, 2007

Ka-racter Development

Zophik:

Been out of the loop for a while. I'm at chapter 22 and hoping to catch up this weekend. I've been taking a lot of notes. And one question which keeps leaping to the fore is if Ka is developing in any way. For example, toward the end of chapter 20, "Ipek sensed now that Ka's frame of mind was very different than the day before; he had, in fact, become a different person." But I fail to see any discernable change in his ambivalent, bourgeois disposition. His motivations aren't clearer; his wishy-washy attitude and melancholy are intact; his lack of self-awareness is ever-present. I hope this changes soon.

Perhaps, Kars is the central character in the novel. I love the way the narrator gives little histories of buildings. He looks into the past almost as much as he does the future.

Ok, let's talk soon!!!

AJ

1 Comments:

Blogger Zophorian said...

I think you are right AJ, Kars may be the central character. But I think Kars is a symbol of Turkish culture.

As for Ka: I am having a hard time understanding how the narrator gets all of the details about what Ka did and what people were thinking. It makes me curious and apprehensive about finding out who it is.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home